Your car contains different fluids that all serve an important function. Most of the fluids are necessary to ensure optimal performance. When you catch an unusual fluid under your parked vehicle, it can send you frantic.
While vehicle fluids should not leak, most of you will probably experience this at one point. When it does, you may be curious to see where it is coming from. Since vehicle fluids can vary in color, smell, and texture, you may be able to make an educated guess on which one it is.
Types of Car Fluid Leaks
- Oil Leak - Motor oil leaks are quite common for many vehicle owners, and it is one of the easiest to catch. If you see a dark-colored, almost black, stain or puddle under your car, it is usually a sign of an oil leak. Oil can leak due to faulty gaskets, but it is important that you have an expert check to be sure.
- Gear Oil Leak - This is widely known for those with manual transmissions. This fluid is viscous and leaks slowly. Sometimes, it may look sticky. Gear oil does leave thick globs instead of thin puddles.
- Transmission Fluid Leak - Transmission fluid is typically pink or red. When you notice this color of fluid, please bring your car to our auto repair shop for inspection.
- Coolant Leak - Coolant is also hard to miss because it tends to be a bright green, pink, purple, or orange. Additionally, it has a sweet scent. When you notice a bright fluid under your car, you should check your cooling system.
- Power Steering Fluid Leak - This type of leak can be dangerous compared to other fluids, as it can mess with the steerability of your car. Power steering fluid can be clear or red, so it can be easily confused with transmission fluid. If you notice stiffness in your steering, please have a professional mechanic check your power steering fluid.
- Brake Fluid Leak - Brake fluid is clear most of the time, but sometimes it has a yellow tint. The solution itself smells like fish oil, making it more noticeable. When you catch a puddle of brake fluid, you should be careful with driving.
Above are some of the most common types of car fluid leaks. If you need help identifying fluid leaks and repairs, look no further than Transmission Hero. Please give us a call or schedule an appointment online with us today.